Aside from his dependency on the Eldunari and his madness. I think Galbatorix's greated weakness was his own overpowering arrogance.
I have a few, but they all tie back into his arrogance.
Yeah his ego was so overpowering.
I'd say Eragon's biggest weakness was his arrogance.
Isn't arrogancw the weakness of just about every major villian from a story arrogance?
Yeah, but with Galbatorix it’s to a stunning degree. There are so many opportunities for Galbatorix to win it’s amazing, yet he ignores them over arrogance. I’ll list just a few:
1. Participate in the Battle Under Farthen Dûr & capture Eragon when he leaves the army to enter Tronjheim, while Durza & the Twins distract Arya & the Du Vrangr Gata.
2. Invade Farthen Dûr with not just the Urgals but the army as well, rather than letting hatred for Urgals let you batter them to pieces.
3. Meet Eragon on the Burning Plains & capture him.
4. Go with Murtagh during the ambush of the Varden when they capture Nasuada. Everyone was confused, so when Eragon came to help Nasuada Galbatorix could’ve been right there in the tent to capture him.
5. When torturing Nasuada, don’t be a prideful idiot by keeping up the illusions when you know the Burrow Grubs work by how they reduced her to jibbering lunacy. For some reason Murtagh says Galbatorix won’t use them again, but there’s every reason to keep using them & Nasuada herself said she’d give up immediately if he did so.
Yeah he is arrogant to the point of stupidity.
True. I hadn't thought of it l like that.
I think he didn't use the burrow grubs again because he didn't want her to completely lose her sanity
That’s definitely possible, but he could still get an oath from her even if she went insane (he did from the insane dragons). The only thing he would lose if she went insane is a potential servant, & he has plenty of those.
That's true, but I think with Nasuada's abilities and her skill with people she would've been a potentially powerful weapon for him, but only if she remained sane. He wanted her to help him squash the rebellion without him having to lift a finger, she's so good with people if she switched sides she could've convinced the Varden to give up. And she would've been able to manage the re-build of the empire and more mundane things that galby didn't want to do after the war.
I totally agree with you though, it's his arrogance in thinking that he's so powerful he doesn't even have to fight back. He's not really concerned with the war, he was so sure he was gonna win he was too focused on gathering a few people so he could have more power he didn't even realize he should've just crushed everyone when he had the chance.
What do you think?