The Rider-Dragon Bond was formed after a dragon hatched and the Rider first touched the dragon. This resulted in the formation of an oval mark called the "gedwëy ignasia", or shining palm.
- The only known Rider without a gedwëy ignasia was Eragon I.
- The bond is weakened if a person other than the intended Rider touches the dragon first.
- Some unfortunates who did not want to become Riders touched a dragon and inadvertently gained a bond, such as Eragon and Murtagh.
- The bonds could be warped and dragons could be deceived: see Galbatorix and Shruikan.
- ↑ shurtugal.com, Q&A with Christopher Paolini, May 2010, retrieved April 19,2011